The sponsor of the SAMSUNG 4K Filmmaking Challenge is Photo District News®
,"), 85 Broad Street, New York, NY 10004.
The contest starts June 3, 2015 and will continue through July 14, 2015
, at 11:59 pm PDT. An Extended deadline of August 3, 2015 will be issued after July 14, 2015
, at 11:59 pm PST (the Round one(1)Entry Deadline). All entries must be received by the Extended Entry Deadline. After the Round one(1) deadline, 10 photographers will be chosen by the Judges and invited to re-submit entries shot on the Samsung NX-500 camera system which has been provided to them. These re-submitted entries must be received by August 3, 2015
at 11:59 pm PDT (the Re-Submission Deadline).
WHO MAY ENTER
Entrants must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of entry. Entrants must reside in the United States of America or its' territories. CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Certain exclusions apply see section below titled WHO MAY NOT ENTER.
WHO MAY NOT ENTER
Employees of Photo District News®, or Samsung and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries and agents, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such individuals, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a prize.
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter electronically, please visit http://www.samsung4kchallenge.com to register. Once the registration process has been completed, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. Simply log onto the website and follow the online instructions to submit your Round 1 video entry. You do not need to upload a video file. There are a number of suppliers of online video hosting which include: YouTube® and Vimeo®. For more information on electronic submission guidelines see our FAQ.
- You may enter any number of Round 1 entries in any of the categories listed on the home page of http://www.samsung4kchallenge.com.
- Round 1: Entries must be under 10 minutes in length. Each Entry consists of an entry form, and a single Video url to a third party video hosting website.
- Round 2: Ten finalists will be selected and given an NX-500 camera to shoot their Round 2 entries. The finalists will commit to providing a Round 2 video shot exclusively on the Samsung NX-500 Camera in 4K. Entrant is responsible for providing editing equipment capable of viewing and editing 4K footage and submitting Round 2 entries on removable media such as a thumb drive. This is the only work that will be evaluated for grand prize consideration.
- By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted video is an original work created solely by the entrant or at the art direction of the entrant, that the video does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the video.
- Videos that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud, provided that entrants must be prepared to provide a release form as described below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." When capturing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close up of another person's art.
- If the video includes other people, you must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the video submitted, authorizing use of the video as provided below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." If you are unable to provide a personal release, upon request by Sponsor and in the form provided by Sponsor, then your entry may be disqualified. You do not need to send the release with your entry. If you win, we will contact you if a model release is needed.
- The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below. The video must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsors, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. Video deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
- On-line entries must be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, internet domain owner, or other person or organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
Categories for this contest are used for the purposes of describing the content of the submission. There will not be a winner or winners of each category. The sole purpose for categories is to create meta data with the entries themselves for display on the website and will not be used in the selection of a winner except as categorical information about the entry.
- Fine Art
- 10 round 1 finalists will be featured in the Samsung 4K Filmmaking Challenge online gallery and will receive an NX-500.
- The Grand Prize winner (1) will receive a $2,500 cash prize, a profile in a PDN/Samsung publication and a Samsung NX-1 camera.
- Contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. In Round one(1), video experts selected by PDN staff (the "Judges") will each review the entries and select a group of 10 finalists to move on to Round two(2). Each finalist of Round one(1) will receive a Samsung NX-500 camera system. From these winners each photographer will submit a new video using the provided NX-500 camera system. Round two (2) entries will be reviewed by The Judges. The Judges will pick one winner to receive a $2,500 cash prize, a profile in a PDN/Samsung publication and a Samsung NX-1 camera.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, cinematic quality and effectiveness in expressing the theme of “4K Filmmaking” as described on the homepage of the "www.samsung4kchallenge.com" Web site. Winners may be exhibited online on the Samsung websites and on the "www.samsung4kchallenge.com" Web site.
- Decisions of the Sponsors and Judges are final and binding.
- Sponsors reserve the right not to award all prizes in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, as determined by Sponsors and Judges in their sole discretion.
- Video quality at the time of judging will not be the Sponsor's responsibility. The quality of the video and delivery of sufficient quality that will meet the Judges expectation is the responsibility of the Entrant.
- If the video contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the video, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the video in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any video is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- By participating, ALL ENTRANTS grant the Sponsors and their designees, licensees or affiliates (the "Authorized Parties") a non-exclusive, worldwide license, through September 9, 2017, to reproduce, distribute, display and post the entries online so that viewers may view all competing entries. In addition, each WINNER grants to the Authorized Parties a license for use of his/her winning entry in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to, print or digital publication in PDN® magazine showcasing the winners and Samsung promotions related to the contest. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
THIRD PARTY RELEASES/LICENSES
Winners authorize Emerald Expositions Photo Group and Samsung to reproduce, distribute, display and create creative montages of the video entries in connection with Samsung 4K Filmmaking Contest and promotion of Samsung 4K Filmmaking Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to: publication in PDN® publication(s) showcasing the winners; The Samsung 4K Filmmaking Contest live gallery; the Samsung 4K Filmmaking Contest Web site and on PDNonline.com and Rangefinderonline.com; and in exhibits and promotions related to the Samsung 4K Filmmaking Contest.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless PDN®, and each of their respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
Sponsors assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Sponsors are not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants' or any other persons' computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to this Contest.
This Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Certain restrictions may apply. Entries void if the Sponsor determines the entry to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
Participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if he/she wins that Sponsor may use each winner's name, photograph, video, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except in Tennessee and where prohibited by law). All federal, state and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsors, in their sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsors that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If Sponsors elect to cancel or terminate the Contest, Sponsors will not retain any rights in the submitted videos.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is an entry?
An entry consists of one video (10 minutes or less) submitted as a URL to a video-hosting service such as YouTube.com® or Vimeo.com®.
Is there a limit to the number of entries that I can enter?
No, you may enter as many entries as you like to Round 1. Finalists will be contacted to create one 5-minute 4K film for Round 2.
Will there be a prize winner in each category?
No. The categories are used to organize entries. There will be 10 finalists and one grand-prize winner. Prizes are listed on the "Contest Info" page.
If I am selected to shoot a 4K video for Round 2, will my video entry be returned?
Round 2 videos will be submitted via removable media such as a thumb drive and will not be returned. If you are selected to shoot a Round 2 video, please back up your file.
Will my video or imagery be sold?
No. You retain copyright to your video and the Sponsors may not sell your video entry for a fee. Finalist and winning entries may be used in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest for a period of 24 months from the date winners are notified.
When will the winners be announced?
Winners will be contacted within 2 months of the published deadline of the contest.
Do you still have questions?
For additional questions email: firstname.lastname@example.org.